11 days into the New Year! Are you sticking to your resolution? Have you stayed away from Diet Coke or visited the gym every day last week?
I love the start of the New Year, and I think resolutions can be great. Resolutions give us time to reflect on the past year, be proud of what we accomplished, and set goals for where we want to be by the end of 2017. 2017 is going to be a big year. There is a lot of change going on around us that we don’t have control of, but we do control how we approach the day. We decide how we execute. We make the decision everyday to do what we do. So, how can we make sure we’re making the best decisions in our day so that we’re achieving our resolutions and goals for the year?
Make this your year. If you’ve always dreamed of doing something, now is the time. If you have a passion, pursue it. If you have fear, tackle it. If you have pain, resolve it. If you have a goal, crush it.
Start by setting your intention(s) for the year. Create a mindful approach to your goals. Instead of a laundry list of things to accomplish throughout the year, own your thought process and add strategic logic and planning behind each goal you set.
I set my intentions by looking at 2016 and evaluating my biggest strengths and biggest weaknesses. In assessing both areas, I was able to make strategic plans on how to enhance my strengths and continue to grow and focus on what I need to do to overcome my weaknesses.
I have a packed year, and I am pumped for it! I'm getting married; I'm starting the year self-employed; and I have a lot of personal goals I want to accomplish this year. I divided my year into five major areas and then set an intention for each area by deciding how I want to feel about the area on December 31st, 2017. Under each area, I listed key points, which ultimately helped me to develop my goals.
I summed it all up with one intention for the year:
Below is an outline of where I started. I have gone into much more detail on my own with how I am going to execute and game plans for each area, but, this is a great place for you to start and see my thought process.
2017 Intention: Create
Intention: Create the strongest bonds possible
a. Sarah - Getting Married
- Always improve and be the best fiancé ever
b. Family Time - Gornik Family
- Coordinate family outings
c. Friends - My Team
- Host group gatherings so we spend more time together
d. Business/Professional – My Network
- Engage with the top people in each field to learn how to be successful
Intention: Create My Education
a. Read - Read More– both fiction and non-fiction!
- Create yearly reading list and recommend my favorites to others
b. Write - Become Stronger
- Take classes to develop my style
c. Listen - Learn
- Listen to podcasts in varying fields to enhance my overall knowledge
3. Live Better/Business Goals
Intention: Create something no one has ever dreamed of before
a. Retreat - Coordinate
- Host the most epic retreat ever
b. Podcast - Educate Others
- Line up our best guests yet
c. Blog - Develop Interest
- Utilize feedback to create relevant posts for viewers
d. Training/Coaching - Be the Top in my Field
- Create holistic package so clients receive highest level of instruction across lifestyle
Intention: Create better body awareness
a. Handstand - Be More Comfortable on My Hands Than on My Feet
- Create morning and evening routine to do handstands daily
b. Middle Split - Stick it!
- Combine yoga, Aligned Modern Health Chiropractic and Prehab, and Gymnastics Bodies to use techniques to increase mobility and stability
- Use multiple facets of gymnastics training including flexibility, mobility, isometric exercises, and core conditional exercises by Sports Fitness Advisor
c. Body Weight Control - Know How to Move Better
- Educate and learn more about how the body works
Intention: Create a lifestyle plan
a. Decrease Sugar - Stop Cravings
- Pick one month to go sugar free (<15 grams a day)
b. Decrease Reliance on Food - Use Food as Fuel
- Complete three cleanses
c. Water - Spring Water is the Best
- Hydrate and always use spring water when available.
I invite you to create your intentions for 2017. These goals take time, as they should, but at the end of 2017 you will be proud of your journey and your successes. You gotta start somewhere/sometime?
Have the best YEAR ever.